Heat, cold, perspiration
39. Icy cold hands, but I don’t feel cold. CDG 8 16:00-19:00 I
40. Sensation that my sweat had a stronger smell. TM 10,11 I
Head and vertigo
41. I woke up with a headache, as though there was a heavy ring around my head that lasted all day long. I felt better lying in bed. PP 13 I
42. Dizziness, as if my head were heavy and tended to lean to the side, or shifted at a different speed with respect to the rest of the body, feels worse when bending down or walking. LR 2 N
43. Burning sensation in the throat when swallowing, especially on the left side, and pins and needles with little difficulty in swallowing; constant pain. IM 1-20
44. Pain in the throat with sensation of burning, pain at the nape of neck which intensifies when I move. IM 16
45. In the afternoon violent sneezes, blocked nose with abundant watery secretion, lasting about 5 minutes. PGC 4 N
46. Unbearable lacrimation, a few problems with the nose, the odd sneeze, liquid discharge. My eyes itch a lot, especially on waking up. During the day there are moments of wellbeing, then, suddenly tears appear without my realizing it. FV 18-28
47. While I’m working I have to have a break because I’m fairly thirsty, with a sensation of dry mouth and burning; I go and get a glass of water and quench my thirst by rapidly drinking three mouthfuls of water one after the other. CC 3 18 N
48. Extreme dryness on the edge of the lips, area around the lips and corners of the mouth. BGF on waking up, 4,5 P
49. I noticed many bites on my mouth in the last few days, I keep biting my right cheek and the front of my mouth while I’m chewing. LR 20
50. At night I have the sensation of swelling in the right lower gum, if I clench my teeth, I felt it throbbing. By morning it had stopped spontaneously. TM 1 N
51. Slight nausea with sweetish taste in the mouth. CC 1,4,5 N
52. Burning sensation in the oesophagus down to the throat, a longing for cool drinks, frequent belching, better right after eating but shortly afterwards it starts again. Goat-like stools . IM 3,6,7
53. Burning sensation in the stomach at about 2 p.m. which started after drinking grapefruit juice (which I usually drink without any burning sensation); the feeling diminished after eating. IM 2
54. Stomachache, burning sensation as though there was pressure around my stomach, desire to belch without managing to, sensation of improvement after belching. Desire to lie down on my stomach but with no relief. Nausea. Then evacuation of normal-loose stools and amelioration of pain. It often wakes me up at night, then I fall asleep again; when I get up more stomach cramps. Fits with severe cramps as if the stomach was squeezed from the outside associated with intense nausea; I even get a lot of ‘water’ in my mouth, as if I was just about to vomit. The pain is relieved by unbuttoning my trousers which press down on my stomach. 15-20 minutes later I do 2-3 belches which frees me of the pain and improves the situation. LR 3,4,9,10, 14,16, 17,18, 19, 20, 21, 22 PI
55. Queasiness, goat-like stools. IM 4
56. Diarrea, with soft stool preceded by some stomach cramps. CC 9, 10 N 57. Light brown, sticky stools. CDG 7 N
58. A few rather hard stools. CDG 9 N
Female urinary/reproductive system
59. Shooting pain in the left pelvis which radiates to the left sacro-iliac joint and spontaneously disappears after a few minutes. AB 4 N
60. Pain originating from the uterus and radiating to the pubis and the right hip. AB 5 N
61. I am in the premenstrual period, which is made harder for me due to irritability, anxiety, difficulty in relations with relatives (irritability, outbursts of anger, sensation that everyone is against me). However, I feel calmer and I am able to cope with life’s adversities up without brooding over them. At home too I feel more peaceful. PGC CE
62. Yesterday my cycle ended and up till now I haven’t had headaches. PGC C
63. I noticed that, during the afternoon, unlike previous occasions, my menstrual flow slowed down (i.e. it became normally abundant), even though it was only the second day of the cycle, the most problematic one. PGC 1 C
64. My cycle began very early, it came on the 18th day. It has only happened very few times before,I think 2-3 times altogether. As a rule I am very regular at the 26th day. PP 1 IN
65. My menstrual cycle is still in progress and it is the 6th day: this is very unusual to me, because it always ends on the 4th day. PP 7 N
66. This evening I experienced lower abdominal and back pain, as if the cycle was coming, whereas I am already into the second day when I normally don’t have any problems. PP 3 N
67. From the morning of the 15th day I felt a sudden urge to pee, abundant and light colored urine. The urge goes on during the night and into the morning of the 16th day. I have to have a pee every 2 hours. I can’t resist the urge. During the night I looked at the clock (I wake up and I’m forced to get up) at 00:30, 2:30, 4:30, 6:30 a.m. The urge lasts until the 17th day, then things go back to normal. PGC 15-17 E
68. In the evening diuresis increased, I got up 3 times to urinate during the night; the next day I felt an incredible thirst for water at room temperature; urination is abundant every time and I have to urinate every hour, but without a particular urge. The next day, towards evening, things go back to normal. FV 4,5 E
69. Urgent need to urinate 10 times, no burning or other sensations, just the urge to urinate ten times. The urge to urinate continues in the morning, although it is less intense, and I urinate 4 times. PP 1,9 E
Back and musculoskeletal system
70. At lunch time unexpectedly a pain appears in lumbar region, very intense, without irradiation or laterality, without a clear root cause. It gets worse when sitting down or standing up, with any kind of movement in general; it improves when lying down on one side or on my back. The next day the pain is unbearable. Huge effort to get up. I double up in pain. Even breathing is painful. The whole pelvis feels as though it were being held in a vice. Even so I’m not worried at all. The symptoms went on unaltered, intense and crippling until the morning of the 18th day. The pain vanished; I woke up with an endless series of sneezes. I sneezed all the day, liquid nasal discharge, profuse lacrimation, itching, no burning, tears are sticky. Symptoms come and go during the day. FV 11-18 PI
71. Lumbar pain, improves by stretching my back. CDG 7 4:00-6:00 p.m. N
72. This morning I feel very ill, I woke up with the sensation of having been punched all over my body, with muscular pain. After breakfast queasiness and intense irritation. The situation got better in the afternoon when I went out with kids. PP 7
73. It appeared, in the middle of the sole of the left foot, a blister containing thick yellow creamy pus. BGF 3 N
74. Sudden and profuse bleeding of a mole on left temple, unintentionally ‘scratched’ while combing myself. This caused me a vague sensation of queasiness, unease which I then realized was anxiety about my health, fear (my father had a melanoma). FV 29 N
75. Itching all over my body with appearance of small spots on my neck and chest. IM 8
76. Frequent and annoying cramp-like pains in the abdomen, nausea, revulsion for any food, thirst for cold water but only in small sips, severe shivering, intense pain, as if I had been beaten up, in the legs and especially in the pelvis and in the spine. Temp. 38°C BGF 8
COMMENTS AND NOTES ON THE PROVING
PROVER CC’S NOTES.
I felt an urge to do things. It didn’t cost me any special effort and I was able to do everything, but there was sense of being on the alert of being always on the ready. I felt a tension inside. I felt terrific, I felt full of adrenalin “What have I taken, Coca 200CH?”
SUPERVISOR ABOUT PGC
The appearance, the facies, her way of expressing herself were definitely different from usual. She seems more peaceful, ‘lighter’; she is usually a rather ‘morose’ person, depressed and evasive. She says that she feels well in this period, better both physically (digestion and sleep have improved) as well as in human relations, at home and at work (she is an occupational physician). She says she is less tired, less insecure; she has fewer digestive problems and feelings of bloatedness. She took the remedy after the proving during menses to assess its effectiveness: once again she had a very moderate flow and no premenstrual symptoms.
PROVER LR ’S NOTES
Last important episode of stomach ache was when a duodenal ulcer was diagnosed in June 2008 as a result of which I was hospitalized. The pain was similar and I felt a lot of nausea. I checked that I had stomach ache this month of varying intensity and type: on March 3, 4, 9, 10, 14, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, and 22.
DIRECTOR’S NOTES ABOUT LR
On August 30 the prover LR told me that since then she has never suffered either from tiredness or stomach ache. She said the proving was beneficial to her health and that she feels extremely well. The following month she did not suffer from premenstrual tension and in the subsequent months it was only very mild. The following symptoms were recorded: intense anger seven days before, with violent outbursts, strong words, a high tone of voice, screams and yelling about trifling things, especially at home. She felt as though she were a taut rope that could snap at the slightest touch. The feeling died down somewhat in the following days. She would run herself down. She belittled herself: everything she does seems to go wrong, small mistakes become major tragedies, she feels as though she were wasn’t appreciated.
PROVER TM‘S NOTES
Some features of my nature got worse: greater anticipation anxiety, more manic precision about certain things. The anxiety subsequently decreased about a week after stopping the intake.
The proving of Colibacillinum ran from February to May 2011 at the Homeopathy School in Verona as part of the educational project of continuing medical education in Homeopathic Medicine. The proving fully fulfilled the objectives that had been set, both in terms of training and experimental research.
As a result of the proving, the pathogenesis of the nosode Colibacillinum, for which there had been a serious lack of data, has been enriched with valuable symptoms which facilitate or enable its prescription.
A suitable knowledge of a homeopathic medicine is achieved after several phases of experimentation and repeated therapeutic use. We therefore invite fellow homeopaths who will use Colibacillinum successfully in the future to send us the valuable data they acquire: they will help to provide a clearer definition of the pathogenesis of this substance and to improve the healing potential of the entire homeopathic community.
1. Dominici, G.; Bettio, D.; Impallomeni, M.; Mariani, I.; Pinotti, D.; Tonini, E.; Pomposelli, R. Sperimentazione didattica di Hydrogenium peroxidatum (2009) Il Medico Omeopata, 42, 22-28, FIAMO.
2. King G, Riley D, Stock W. New homeopathic drug provings in antihomotoxic medicine: Tormentilla and colibacillinum (2000) Biologische Medizin, 29(2):98-101; 29(6):318-321
3. Riley, D. – Collected Provings – Encyclopaedia Homeopathica – ARCHIBEL,Assesse, 2008
4. Julian, O. A. Materia Medica dei Nosodi Nuova IPSA Editore, 1996
5. Schrojens, F. RADAR Synthesis 9.2 – ARCHIBEL, Assesse, 2008
The 15 provers
Download the document in PDF format